London, Brighton & South Coast
Railway Coach No. 676
Stroudley 4w Brake Third
Type: 4-wheeled Brake Third
Built: 1875 (or 6/76 ?) at Brighton
Seating: 30 3rd class
To Bluebell: 17/5/1998
This coach body, together with that of
its companion No.949, is owned by the Bluebell Railway Trust.
Together with their Stroudley First, No.661 and Third No.328, they
will form a complete LBSCR train dating from the same period as
our two Terriers, also designed by William Stroudley.
It was rescued from a farm near Cranleigh
where it had been used as a storage shed since soon after the
World War I. Originally oil lit, one lamp illuminated all three
passenger compartments, which didn't have partitions above the
tops of the seat backs.
A suitable Southern Railway van underframe
has been obtained, and will be shortened to carry this body. Restoration
work on the body could commence after completion of No.661 but
it could be at least a decade before we see a complete Stroudley
train with a Stroudley engine, which will then form the oldest
standard-gauge train in the country.
The coach is stored on a temporary underframe
under an overall tarpaulin.
The above information
on this page came from the Bluebell Railway website.
This further information
came from the "Southern E-Group's" internet site.
This is often how they arrive for preservation!
Stroudley 26 ft 4 wheeled brake third number 676 of 1875 or
6 is owned by the Bluebell Railway Trust and was rescued from
a farm near Cranleigh. One day it will be mounted on a shortened
Southern Railway van underframe to form a part of the oldest
standard gauge train in the country when coupled with fellow
LBSCR coaches 328, 661 and 949.
Brighton Bogie First number 661 when it was
undergoing restoration in the Bluebell Railway's Horsted Keynes
Carriage works, pictured here on 20 June 2003. Designed by William
Stroudley and built in 1880 by Brown Marshall as a six wheeled,
four compartment, first class coach, it was rebuilt as a brake
second in June 1909 and downgraded to a brake third in 1912.
After withdrawal in 1924 it was incorporated into a bungalow
at Bracklesham Bay. When this was demolished the remains were
acquired by the Bluebell Railway where it is being rebuilt on
a modified four wheel SR PLV underframe.
This magnificent restoration came to its moment
of glory when the coach was released to traffic on 24 July 2004.
On that day it was in service for the enjoyment of those who
had worked on the restoration and who had previously lived in
the vehicle whilst it was used for housing. The coach is seen
here in the Carriage & Wagon sidings at Horsted Keynes on 24