HGDR & LBSCR - "whose line is it anyway!"
Because of the delays and difficulties
during the early part of planning the line, where the LBSCR had
to assist greatly, the HGDR became more a part of LBSCR, three
new Directors were appointed to the HGDR board, one was the Chairman
of LBSCR and the other two were connected with the company, and
other appointments were made drawing more LBSCR staff into the
HGDR company. LBSCR provided the maximum investment allowed by
the Parliamentary Act of £75,000 towards the line construction,
and the HGDR provided the remainder £48,000 of the total £123,000.
The board continued to make decisions
that made the HGDR more and more a part of the LBSCR, although
it kept it's own name. On 28th April 1862 it was agreed that all
HGDR business be conducted from the LBSCR offices, and LBSCR staff
were used as supervisors an inspectors for the line construction.
By June all the directors and staff of the HGDR had connections
with the LBSCR and was effectively part of the larger company,
an agreement was made on 29th July for the LBSCR to buy the HGDR
and the "LBSCR Additional Powers Act" was passed by Parliament
on 29th June 1864 which made the HGDR officially part of the LBSCR
who eventually opened the line between Horsham and Guildford as
part of their network.
Click here to continue to: 'Building the Line'